Wednesday, May 13, 2009

LAW ENFORCEMENT MEMORIAL

I have never attended the Annual Southern New Mexico Law Enforcement Memorial until yesterday. It was a moving tribute to the men and women in uniform, including the military who were killed in wars in Afghanistan and Iraq.

In giving the Welcome Address to the attendees, Dona Ana County Undersheriff, Chuck Franco spoke as a "Fallen Officer." He words were pointed and provided some comfort as he said to the families of the fallen: "I am sorry that I was not there at those family gatherings and special events, as I was on duty..."I want to say how much I love you, though I never said it enough..."I want to thank my fellow officers for being there when I needed you.." He closed by saying: "I will be praying for you."

There were representatives from all area law enforcement departments and federal agencies as well.

Mayor Ken Miyagashima read a Proclamation declaring the Week of May 11-15, 2009 as "Law Enforcement Week" in Las Cruces.

District Attorney Suzanna Martinez was the keynote speaker who reminded family and friends of the importance of law enforcement to our communities. She stated that "at times the media and public are very critical and at times abusive towards law enforcement officers in they way they handle certain situations." However, overall the job performance by law enforcement officers are honorable and fair.

I would like to remind the public that the reason why democracy works is because of the enforcement of laws.

The next you see a law enforcement officer, local, county, state or federal, please take the time to thank for their service in protecting us and the United States of America.

Let us not forgot our brave men and women who serve this country in the Armed Forces and who have paid the ultimate sacrifice to secure our freedom and liberty.

I salute the men and women who "PROTECT, DEFEND & SERVE." May God contiue to bless the United States of America.

No comments:

Post a Comment